Thursday, 14 October 2010

Interview Analysis

Interview Analysis

I asked ten people my interview questions. They ten people I choose to ask all fitted into my target audience, they where all female and aged between 19-34. These more detailed interview answers will give me more information about what my target audience likes and dislikes and what I should include in my film to appeal to them.

The first question I asked was do you like romance films and why? All my interviewees like romance films as they are in my target audience. Most people said they like romance films because of the way they make you feel. They thought romance films make you feel emotional wether that be happy or sad and they like being connected to the story in a emotional way. Other interesting answers I got where that romance films so you the ideal love story that doesn’t always happen in real life and they enjoy the fantasy of the perfect romance. Also another interesting answer was that romance films gave them hope after divorce that she could still find that soul-mate kind of love. I think after hearing these answers from my target audience I need to have a something really romantic in my film , wether that be they way they met or something they do for each other. I think my target audience like to see big romantic moments that show them the couple are deeply in love and are perfect together.

I then asked what there favorite romance film was and why so that I could get a sense of what style they like. I had a large array of answers like, The notebook, Walk the line, Breakfast at tiffany’s, Moonstruck, Titanic, Ghost and many more. This is a large range of films so it hard to define a style or particular theme from this. However looking at why they liked these films gives me more information. The majority answer of why they liked their favorite film was because it was sad. This shows me that a my target audience like sad films and they are effected the most by ones that make them cry.

I then asked my interviewees what they thought was romantic. This is so that I can use some of there ideas in my film as they as my target audience will find it romantic. A lot of them said that surprises were romantic. That when the man turns up unexpectedly or sends a surprises present that is romantic. So is glamours restaurants and jewelry. From the answers I got the impression that my target audience like to be spoilt, they like the expensive things in life and want a man who can give it to them. I think I will use this idea and have a sense of glamour to my love story. A few of my target audience also said that they thought that couples who settled down together made a family and stayed with each other till the grew old was really romantic. I will consider showing my couple when they grow old as this would appeal to my target audience,

I also asked What makes my target audience cry, as I need to use a subject in my film that will effect my target audience emotionally. Almost all of them said that death makes them cry. Other suggestions I had where divorce or the couple being made to split up. Considering these answers I think it would be effective to use death in my storyline as it obviously effects my target audience a lot and would make them emotional.

I then asked If my audience wanted a happy or sad ending in a romance film. The opinions were split people said that they would like a happy ending but all their favorite films had sad endings. I think that the audience want to see a film where the couple live happily ever after but films with sad endings are a lot more effective at making the audience connect with the characters and invest in the story. I think that will draft ideas with happy and sad endings and show them to my focus group to get more feedback. I think the type of ending really depends on the storyline.

I also asked my audience if they where in a relationship and who they watched romance films with. This was to get more background information about my audience. Their was a mixture of responses when I asked them if they where in a relationship some where single, some where in a relationship and some were divorced. I think that wether the audience is in a relationship may effect if they watch romance films but not that much. A single girl might watch them more as she is looking for love but a girl in a relationship will still enjoy them. The answers about who they watch romance films with where all the same everyone said their friends. It seems that watching a romance film is a social thing for girls to do with their friends. I need to consider this when writing and making my film. I also got the impression that they liked watching romance films friends because they could discuss it with them and talk about the men in the film and the men in their lives.

I then asked my audience what kind of storyline they would like. I got a mix response between simple and complicated. People said that they like to relax and not have to concentrate on the plot to much on the other hand people said that if the plot was to simple they get bored. In addition a lot of people did say they like twist. I think that having a twist in a film would be a good compromises between the simple and complicated story line.

In romance films there is always a really romantic scene where they make a really romantic speech. I think that the key lines they say like “ you had me at hello” , “ i’m just a girl standing in front of a boy asking him to love her” and “ heres looking at you kid” for example are key to any romance film. So I asked my audience what was the most romantic thing someone had ever said to them. This is so that I could include a romantic line that they would relate to. The answers where all quite simple and everyone said “I love you” or “your perfect” these lines are classic but I would like to come up with a signature line to use in my film.

The finale question I asked was what they found attractive in men. This is key in any romance film as women who watch the film want to be attracted to the main man. The most popular answer was a sense of humor . So I should consider making my main man funny, confident and charismatic. This will help my audience connect with him or even fancy him. Another thing that became apparent though the answers was that my target audience was that the man should be good looking, their where a lot of comments made about height and build. I think that getting the right actors and developing the characters of the couple is key to the success of a romance film.

Overall I have gained a lot more information about what my target audience want from a romance film. I think I need consider carefully wether I want to have a happy or sad ending and this can really effect the film and who will watch it. I think that a happy ending can make a film seem a bit cheesy if it’s not done right and sad endings can really deflate a audience. I think to deiced what type of ending I want I will develop options for a storylines and ask my focus group about it. From my interviews I have got more details about my audience and can now see what I should included to help my audience relate to the story. For example what they find romantic what they find sad etc. I can know add these details to my Ideas.

1 comment:

  1. This is very good Frankie. You have clearly made an effort to apply the responses of your audience to the development of your own ideas. Well done!

    ReplyDelete